Wednesday 1 August 2018

A New Month And More Jams To Start The Month Off

Songlist:  Checker's Acoustic Showcase

The Race Is On
She Belongs To Me
Games People Play
Fox On The Run
Everybody's Talking
For What It's Worth
Switch Board Susan
Ring Of Fire
Summertime Blues
The First Cut Is The Deepest

Donna Jo-Backing Vocals and Tambourine  (Games People Play, Everybody's Talking, For What Its Worth)
Steve Black Wolf: Backing vocals  on For What Its Worth

On Turn The Page, I played congas, Steve played guitar and sang and Lorie Parker added vocals.

Plus

Cathy Hart
Lorie Parker
Barb Myers
Carl Meiners
Mike Frederick
David Arnold
Luther Parker
Mike Spina
Abigail Bunker
Doug Ducey
Tim Canfield
Kim Trevillion


Aces And Eights Wednesday Night Jam with the 3 B's and Terry McDowell

6 songs including

Lay Down Sally
Smoke Smoke Smoke That Cigarette
Little Red Riding Hood
House Of The Rising Sun
Far Away Eyes


Billy Bourbon-Lead Vocals and Guitar
Bear Clair-Steel guitar and electric guitar
Bird-Bass
Me-Drums
Terry McDowell-Host


With
Doug Ducey (Again)
Steve Stratton
John Hernandez
Lisa Fox



(Cathy Hart took this photo and a few others)


(Steve Black Wolf with Doug Ducey)



(Jeff Gage getting a good laugh over something, Carl Meiners checking out the Facebook happenings, me deep in thought, Kimberly chatting about music and Steve Black Wolf digging the scene)

Notes:  My mental capacity is driving me crazy.  I can't remember half the songs that I did with The 3 B's  but if I can uncloud my thoughts I'll update them as they go.

Doug Ducey was both at the Checkers' and Aces And Eights Jam.   And I got there late and didn't intent to jam.  Terry did let me finish the jam.  A lot of the songs were on the mellow and on the grooving side. I think Terry likes the new simple and direct beats that I play.  I don't see the need to crash and bash.  Besides, I'm working with great professionals musicians that would kill me if I went full Keith Moon.   It was actually the first time I got to chat with Doug Ducey. He's a excellent guitar player from what I heard of him playing along with Steve.

Bird told me he has been recording the jams and when he gets the time he'll make me the best results.

I have no idea if Carl did play after I left (I'm thinking he didn't)

No new songs to speak of.  I did play The Race Is On in E rather than G,C,D.  It was based on the arrangement that Dan Hartman did when he played at Rumors Sunday and I decided to see how well that worked.  And was surprised at the results.

Kim popped in for a few minutes before going to Aces And Eights but the time I got down there she was long gone.  I think she wanted to play a song or two, but I did tell her that Billy was down at Aces and Eights and she could get on stage that way.  Wonder if she did.  We could have done Gold Dust Woman if need be.

Lisa Fox was at Aces n Eights but she didn't sing, Billy ended up singing House Of The Rising Sun on his own.

The absence of other drummers the past two nights is kinda hard to believe.  Last night, it was just me and Bob Dorr and tonight it was just Steve Stratton and me at Aces And Eights.  A big contrast from the all star drummers of the past two weeks at Rumors.

This weekend is the first annual Cedar Rapids Envolve Festival to which plenty of bands including headliners  Maroon 5 and Kelly Clarkson will be at New Bo.  Already they have closed most of the roads into Czech Village and New Bo to which a giant stage is being erected outside of the bars.  Most of the musicians will be there on Saturday/Sunday.  But this might be the perfect time for me to return back to Stone City.  Julie has a gig in Davenport with Dave Bonham on Friday and a Saturday gig with Dreams Of Arcadia.  Which leads me to probably stay home and check out the bluegrass gospel fest across the street here in town and perhaps go to Waubeek for their monthly jam.

Finally Tracy, my boss did post some videos of my playing at Parlor City Tuesday Night.  I have yet to see him but I heard they turned out pretty good.  I think I shocked him on how well I played.  We do have some great musicians at my place of employment, Louie and Rod Albaugh.  Perhaps something might come of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.