Friday 24 August 2018

A New Blues Jam To Speak Of

Uptown Soft Opening  New Blues And Jazz Jam  songlist:


Let's Work Together
All Along The Watchtower
For What Its Worth
Dead Flowers
Time Is Tight

With:
John Hernandez-Bass
Molly Wade:Keyboards

Turn The Page
Knocking  On Heaven's Door
Sweet Home Chicago
Mustang Sally  *sigh*
Red House Blues
Steam Roller Blues



(John Hernandez, Dave Bonham, Steve Black Wolf, Glen Gardner, R. Smith)
Elizabeth Di: photo credit


With:

Steve Black Wolf-Lead vocals, guitar Turn The Page, Knocking On Heaven's Door
Glen Gardner: Vocals and guitar (Steam Roller Blues)
Adam Dinsell-Lead vocals on Sweet Home Chicago, Red House Blues, Mustang Sally
Jay Dean-Bass
Dave Bonham-Lead Guitar
Elizabeth Dinsell-Bass Guitar

And then:

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover
Spoonful

Jay Dean;Bass

I played guitar



(Sofia Chesney: Photo)
John Hernandez and Molly Wade hanging on by a thread

Notes:

For this particular jam, there were notable jammers there, so I opted to go with a more upbeat song playlist rather than the sad ballads that have been part of my song repertoire.  John Hernandez helped out on bass on my numbers and then Jay Dean (Blues Scratch) replaced him.  It's been a while since I jammed with Jay.  I'm thinking this might have been the first time ever I jammed with John with me playing guitar.

There was a girl that wanting to sing a Sam Cooke but nobody knew the song she wanted to do, I think it was That's Where It's At.  I am surprised somebody even mentioned a obscure song like that.

I did an encore of You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover and Spoonful with Jay, I kinda ad libbed the words of the latter song.

At the moment, this jam was the first and only, Adam couldn't find a drum set in time.  There was supposed to be a house drum set but it didn't arrive in time.  I probably should have gotten out my cajole but didn't think about it till it was too late.  In typical August fashion, not many jammers were involved although seeing John and Jay both there was kinda cool, Both guys didn't have to play that night and was free to play. I always enjoy jamming with both, they're excellent players.

I had no clue on how to play Red House Blues although Dave did tell me the chords but I couldn't make heads or tails on what to play.

Molly asked to help out play keyboards on my set list.  She did very well despite us never playing together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.