Wednesday 22 August 2018

Checkers Acoustic Showcase 8-22-18

Songlist:

What's So Funny About Peace, Love And Understanding?
Me And Bobby McGee
Behind Blue Eyes
No Expectations
I Started Hating Cheating Songs Today
Cinnamon Girl
Lynch Party
The Race Is On
Please Don't Leave Me (How Can We Miss You When You Won't Go Away)
Fox On The Run
Not Fade Away
For What It's Worth
If I Were A Carpenter
Slippin Away
Tulsa Time
Summertime Blues

Julie Gordon: Assorted percussion and backing vocals

Encore

I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Here There And Everywhere
Something
Wooden Ships

Molly Wade-Keyboards and Vocals (on the Beatles Numbers)
Glen Gardner-Guitar and vocals on Wooden Ships
Dave Bonham-Guitar and vocals on Wooden Ships
I played percussion on the four songs.



Notes:

I really debated about sitting this one out but Julie talked me into doing this.   And I ended up doing a whopping 16 songs in a 45 minute setting.  Julie and Dave were battling various cold and allergies so I stepped in for them.   I did attempt the first go through of Bobby McGee and Slippin Away with various success and failures.  I was struggling with my performances and was shaky most of the time.  The version of Cheating Songs sucked  I was trying to ad lib through the song and it came off like a parody.  Julie took a video of it.  We were cordial to one another, that's all that matters.   Ryan Paul showed up later but didn't perform.  Dave's new girlfriend Molly played keyboards and I decided to add some sort of percussion and not hide in the shadows.

For originals, Please Don't Leave Me got a debut and it went fairly well.  That's off the Long Time Forgotten album.  I passed on I Don't Know Why You Keep Me On, but did debut a version of Slippin' Away, the old Jean Shepard 1974 country hit.  It seems that country songs from the 70s are perfect for my type of playing.  I'm sure I'll be adding more songs as I go along.

I did go out of my comfort zone to mix up my songs and bringing back forgotten songs like Peace Love And Understanding, Behind Blue Eyes and If I Were A Carpenter.  And with the Sanctuary open mic, I'll be moving toward more originals as well.  There are so many chords to Peace Love An Understanding and I usually fuck it up towards the end and tonight was no exception. So it's bad to polish it up and hope the next time it comes off better.

I suppose I could have bought my cajoles up for percussion work instead of the mini coffee cans that Julie brings but they provide enough beat to make the songs go okay.

Dave wasn't too thrilled of seeing Ryan there and I heard about that on the way on the car.  I'm sure Dave made that clear the next day that he might quit hosting the jam.  I hope that's not the case, I just hope that Dave was still trying to get over his illness the past few days.

Yesterday, was Kyle Oyloe's birthday, he would have been 49.  Julie misses him dearly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.