Sunday 5 May 2019

Stone City and Rumors Jam-Before And After The Storm

Stone City songlist:

Ring Of Fire
Long Black Veil
Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
Summertime Blues
Love's Made A Fool Out Of You


Sharon Eide sang backing vocal to Ring Of Fire

Notes:


Thought about going to see the Kernels play this afternoon, but too many cars were there, so I decided to walk around New Bo and buy a few 45's from Analog Vault.  And then went off to Chad Johnson's benefit at Rumors.  There was an war of words between Herm and a couple of old biddies that called the cops on him for harassment.  Since Mike Lint and Herm were ahead of me, there was too many people there for me to hang so I went home to fight a thunderstorm and got wet in the process on the way to Stone City.

Last night Ron blew a gasket about the Waubeek Jam (Read May The Forth Blog for more info) and they played the Mount Vernon Chalk The Walk, but they were at Stone City and all were there.  Cali Jean waved from the audience, Ron said hello from the stage and his wife Fran per usual ignored me on the way to greet somebody.  I suppose it's hard to see with her nose up in the air so far.   So much for that.

And Maki was there too, but no words or punches were exchanged or thrown.

But in the usual style of  The LaFleurs  I expected them to leave before my set came up and they did that two songs in.   The talk of peace and love seems to not hold much thought to the head Boy Scout Hippie Master.  Or supporting the other acts.  If they did stay the whole set, I'd been shocked.

A very safe list of songs.  I bought the wrong guitar with me, the Blue Brat and it was sadly out of tune, so I didn't capo.  Sharon added some backing vocals to Ring Of Fire but after that it was a solo performance.

Since I played drums most of last night and felt tired, I didn't feel up to hang around, much less play drums but I had to say hi  to Al Hendricks.  Chad Johnson can be full of himself, another FB friend that otherwise ignores me most of the time.  Joey Arnold managed to incorporate a few more lesser known songs played, Blister In The Sun, I Wanna Be Sedated, The Middle.  White Wedding (yawn).  And so on.  While it's cool to have a benefit to pay off Chad's hospital bills, it doesn't help much that he continues to smoke a lot.   We'll help him along the way but if he can't quit the smokes it's like throwing money down the drain.  And I rather not bury another musician since they can't give up their bad habits.  But then again, I have plenty of my own bad habits.  I just don't smoke or drink booze.

Yeah the 3 AM getting home and 9 AM wake up call really put me in a zombie state, tho not as bad as it hit Maki Dervo last night.  He was actually was more awake today at the General Store.  The war of words between Herman and the two old bats really put things in a awkward state.  I told Kathy Runnells I was going out supper and would be back, but I kept going further and further away.Then decided that a Mushroom and Swiss at the General Store would do the trick.

And it did, I had to run to the bathroom at the end of the BSH Sweet Home Alabama, which was extended by a few more minutes.  Ron is getting pretty good at extending the songs if he's on a limit of four or five songs at open mics.  He did that with Purple Rain as his final song of the Waubeek Jam ever.  Or so he says.

It's been a long and tiring weekend from co hosting the Waubeek Jam and then popping into town to pay a visit to Rumors and then back to Stone City to play.  I didn't think I was going to play guitar and sing.  I have to take a look to see if anybody else showed up to played drums at Rumors later on when Terry makes out the flyers.    It will be an early bedtime for me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.