Saturday 4 May 2019

The Waubeek Open Mic Jam-May The Fourth Be With You Till You Are Full Of It

But first this from the head Boy Scout Hippie Master

The story on the open mic's that are run by people with no ethics, code or honor are obvious ....they suck and they know it but they could really could care less. It's incredible how pathetic they treat some people and they honestly think nobody notices. Well, let him have his little power play if he believes it gives his life purpose or it makes him feel that he's in momentary control of others. In reality it only shows his smallness, his pettiness and his lack of love for others. We try to support fellow musicians who are on the path to getting work but we can no longer support the unethical behavior of the open mic we went to tonight. The open mics that are run by ethical people, like Lane at The General Store, are the gold standard. Where we were tonight, will never see us again and we are sorry to have to say that because we love the owner and staff but they have a unethical and dishonest person running their open mic.

(since the original posting, the above paragraph has been deleted from their website but for historical and reference purpose, it was decided to keep this up.  It was decided that he had issues with people signing up and not being there at the onset.  I still think Ron will return back to the Waubeek jam once things cool down, but if not, it will still go on).


I have not a clue what transpired as I was the host drummer for the first time and Maki Dervo was basically the main host,  David Lam filled in for him.   Ron asked earlier in the evening of who made the lineup of who played first and I really had no clue.  I saw a yellow paper with the order of jammers that took part, The Boy Scout Hippies took the stage later than usual.  While I was setting up the drums, I noticed Ron and the band plus his wife showing up around 8 or so but on the paper they were after Greg and Brenda Mein.  Perhaps Ron's ire was directed towards Maki for not being on earlier.  But I know Ron well enough by now, that he tends to blow up at the slightest thing, if he doesn't get his way and has to wait a while he will explode.  This tends to get him banned from playing at places.  Stone City for one.  I think I'm still on the level with Ron; if we are not, then that's on him.  But he might have a point, Steve Thereault did play six or seven songs, like wise Chuck.   Last time I participated with Ron, we did play more songs and the BSH was limited to just four songs this time out.  And I do feel his anger.  But on the other hand, open mic jams are basically limited to about three or four songs per band, and performer, especially if you have a full crew of jammers there. It's good etiquette not to say anything since it's not a paying gig, unless you're the host.  And even then, it's gas money to get me home.

Ron has  got a new drummer, and the guy is likable, very good player, he'll fit in well if he can handle the head Boy Scout Hippie Master's tirades.  He'll be the one that will help the Boy Scout Hippies when they play New York and the Woodstock Revisited at Lowe Park.  I didn't jam with them tonight, I figured if they wanted me to do a song or two I'd would have said yes. I'm sure Cali Jean would love that, in fact she gave me a nice big hug when we seen each other.  Ron was cordial and we shook hands and Dakota said hello too but outside of that we didn't do much association, but I did dance with the woman that usually showed up at the BSH gigs and open mic jams.  I'm sure she was disappointed that we didn't, but I welcomed a nice break from it all as James, the new guy played drums.  I think Ron was promised they could do six or seven songs but Maki told him no more than four, and we all knew the end result.  They did some new songs,  I never did play Ooh la la or Evil Ways with them and I think that was a work in progress but I don't think the new guy knew how to approach  Hard To Handle, but they did a more varied take on the final song Purple Rain, after which Ron  stormed off the stage for a few more choice words and off into the night they went.  Vowing never to come back at the open mic ever again , but they will be back next Saturday as the resident house band.   By then I should be back at Whittier next week, providing that we don't get slammed at work.

For the jam itself, David asked me to bring the drums up there and I did that.  I missed out on doing a bargain hunt in Dubuque or Waterloo but helped him out instead. Maki Dervo usually hosts it, and I came under the impression that he was not going to be there but he was, although in a zombie, sleep deprived state.    The jammers were the usual Waubeek Motley Crew, Steve, Chuck, Nelson Borden, Lenny Drake.  I backed up most of the gang with the exception of Boy Scout Hippies and Ground Chuck.  The Mehaffey Bridge Boys, were a bluegrass group and needed no drums, some other hippie was up there and played a couple songs by himself. I then backed up Meinfield and Guitar Dave Bonham and Maki Dervo.  Since this was a drum event for me, I didn't play or bring a guitar.  We did get dancers, mostly when Greg and Brenda played and then Ron and his gang, but once Ron and company left, most of the people did.  Lenny Drake took over and then Captain Kirksey and David Lam ended things around 2 AM.   Frederick Jones, Kim Trevillion, Katy Merrifield and Carl Meiners were the supporters that didn't play.  Phil played bass till his wife raised a big stink and finally left, tho' she managed to hang around for another 15 minutes.  By then, it became just me, David, Nelson and Kirksey after everybody started dropping off like flies and went home.

Afterwards, I spend chatting to Maki before loading everything in the car and going home.  Maki crashed out in the van outside of F B Company when I left.  In the process, I ended up breaking a cymbal stand after tossing it back into the car.  China don't make anything worth a shit anymore, so gotta get that replaced.

The Core Band:

Phil Bo King-Bass and Guitar
Guitar Dave Bonham-Bass and Guitar
Ground Chuck-Guitar
Nelson Borden-Steel Guitar
Rodney Smith-Drums

Plus

David Lam-Guitar and Bass
Captain Kirksey-Guitar
Greg Mein-Keyboards
Maki Dervo-Guitar and Pan Flutes
Lenny Drake-Guitar and vocals

Selected Songs Of Fun

Me And Mister Horener-Lenny Drake
Tangled Up In Blue-Guitar Dave Bonham
Wearing a Dead Man's Shirt-Maki Dervo
Colour My World-Meinfield
Bring It On Home To Me-Lenny Drake

and many more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.