Friday 31 May 2019

Thoughts From The Townedger: May Edition 2019

It's been a long wet, rainy month.  Just like April
And March
And February



We really haven't had any time to go visit the Davenport walking trails, they have have been underwater since April.  Longest lasting flood since 1927.  Climate change sucks.

Julie makes her debut as a solo artist this Saturday at La Cantina, on Edgewood Rd in Cedar Rapids. The third location for La Cantina in this area.  Not a big fan of the downtown La Cantina,  but hopefully the food is much better at Edgewood Rd.   Steve Black Wolf will be helping her on guitar.  I had obligations to host the Waubeek Jam on the same night and won't be able to support her, tho I have taken to Facebook to promote her gigs.  Julie got the gig last Sunday,  If I wasn't hosting the Waubeek Jam, I'd be helping her out.  She remains my favorite singer.



 For the Waubeek Jam, I'm bringing a new Hi Hat cymbal stand and a five dollar DW bass petal that Brooke Hoover sold me.  If it works as advertised, the Ludwig Speed King petal  will be retired.



The Mad Dogs aren't happening.  Kevin Michael is not interested and he's part of the CR Dicks band. Mike Serbousek might figure into the next band, he and her have a long history together.  As for myself......

I've been away from the weeknight jams due to my place of employment.  I don't like it but I took many sick and personal days off due to walking pneumonia issues this year so I had to cut back.  Once our work load lightens up and we don't have temps, I'm cleared to play.  I should be back at the Artisan Sanctuary next month as well as Checker's Acoustic Jam.  I may be tempted to venture up to the Blu Room in Dubuque to try something different.



There will be a Picnic Afternoon in The Park in Marion to start out Freedom Festival, but I'm working out the details on if I'm playing.  Only definite things going on are the Waubeek and Whittier Jams that I'm part of and of course the Stone City and Rumors' jams.  I have done both jams on occasion.  Either one I usually play late but Terry McDowell was cool enough to let me lead off the jam last Sunday.  Of course, it helps to bribe him with a pair of Vader Drumsticks but it was his birthday and I figured to at least give him a good pair of sticks for playing his drums every year.


I think Belinda James is holding up fairly well despite burying her son last week.  She's been through a lot in the three years I known her.  She's a tough cookie.



I'm not looking for a new romance in this life tho there have been rumors that I was looking.  I have lady friends at jams that I like to say Hi to and give them a hug.  That's as far as it goes.  I have too much going on at work and with The Townedgers and the weekend solo appearances.  I'll help a band out if they're looking for a temporary drummer if they got gigs.  Or fill in on percussion where needed.  With Julie, she has a set list of songs she wants to do, that's fine by me.  She finds my song selection a bit disturbing and darker.  I suggest songs or make a mixtape, wherever she gets around listening to them is up to her but if she doesn't care for the songs then we're wasting time.  I'll do Brown Eye Girl if people want to, but gawd I'm not a fan of Wagon Wheel, the most overplayed country song since Free Bird.  I think she's great with Ryan, I've seen the videos with Kyle and they were meant to be together.  With me and her, I love her vocals, we just look like we don't belong on stage.  It's as if American Gothic came alive



I heard The Mad Dogs version of Gold Dust Woman.  It's quite loud.  Not exactly the way I would play it.  But she's more used to the style of Kyle.

The 10th Annual World Naked Bike Ride in Madison is June 15th, same day as the make up date of Wooden Nickel Lottery playing Stone City's General Store outdoors.  I owe Rich Toomsen one.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.