Sunday 2 June 2019

Waubeek/Stone City Weekend Jam: Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Ron

Good Time Charlie
Logic And Lies
I Fought The Law
Spirit In The Sky
Bring It On Home
Let's Work Together


Richard Budde: Drums


The Waubeek All Stars

David Lam-Bass
Dave Bonham-Lead guitar, bass and vocals
Maki Dervo: Pan-flutes, guitar, percussion and vocals
Nelson Borden: Steel Guitar
Ground Chuck:  Guitar and bass
Dakota McWhortor: Lead guitar and steel guitar
Rodney Smith: host drummer
Jim Myers-Drummer from LA

Notes:


I hosted the Waubeek Jam with David Lam and Maki Dervo  last night.  It was a nice night and most of the jammers decided to take the night off.  The shock of the night was seeing Dakota pop up to play guitar for a few numbers and then switched over to steel guitar.  The other shock was seeing Ron pop up.  For somebody who wasn't going to come to the jams, he went out of his way to do that.  Later on it was revealed that when Ron found out Dakota was up there, he decided to show up, and then raised a big stink when Dakota borrowed Chuck's guitar to play lead on a couple numbers.

I can always when things will go to crap when Ron starts drinking and he had about four shots of something other.  Ron showed up about twenty minutes after Dakota and he pal'ed around the bar then later came up to shout some unintelligible words to I Just Want To make Love To You.  And then proceeded to drink some more shots.  I think he said something to me prior to the song but I really didn't hear him well.  Soon afterwards he went home and tore Dakota up with the usual instant messenger banter. I caught wind of some of this, but the keyword was turncoat.  No wonder Dakota was upset when I left.

This afternoon Ron left a cryptic announcement that the BSH gig at the Office Lounge was canceled due to his foot injury not being healed enough and the foot screws were not removed. A better guess is that his foot went back to his mouth again.  Dr. Jekyll turned into Mr. Ron once again.

It's not the best of times for the BSH band and the head boy scout master isn't doing them any favors with his late night tirades that has caused a lot of the bars to say no to them.  Callie Jean has found a job and that's not going over very well either.  There's not a money to be made playing music, it's strictly for fun and perhaps a bit of gas money but it's not going to pay the bills, at least not for me.   What started out to be a promising year for them is slowly falling apart.  Dakota has  upped his game since the Mad Dogs and he has turned into a damn good guitar player.  Perhaps he should consider looking for another band to play in or find musicians his age to do music with.  Ron has now been a part of the music scene for almost three years and he can bring a crowd to dance.  He's good at that, but his attitude has put off most musicians and bass players will not give him the time of day.  I can't vouch what he says about me. Is it true he doesn't like his band to play at jams?  It never stopped me before but then again I was a temporary anyway.  He did keep his word and paid me as prescribed when we played.   However, the tirades are becoming tiresome and it's better to have him made true to his promise never to play at jams anymore.  We don't wish ill will on him, just him to go away.  You're not going to make it big at F B Company in Waubeek anytime soon, especially if you're 60 years old.

For Stone City, Maki told me about the events of last night and when I told him about BSH canceling the afternoon gig due to his "foot issues"  I mentioned that they have to surgery remove his foot from his mouth and we all bust out laughing for about 10 minutes.   The highlight of the jam.

Terry McCauley threw a challenge at me and dared me not to use my cheatsheet song book for the songs so I decided to take him up on that.  Richard Budde played drums on my set list, which helped me dictate a better song selection, tho Logic And Lies and Good Time Charlie have been holdovers for the past couple months. Spirit In The Sky (Kentucky Headhunters version) was dusted off.  I haven't done that song in a year or so and Bring It On Home was debuted.  I ran threw the songs before heading out so that they didn't sound too rough.  Over all, it actually sounded pretty good considering the songs and situation.

Steve Black Wolf was dealing with headaches so he stayed home.  Dave Bonham was practicing with his new band.  Carl Meiners, Bill Schlatter, Maki Dervo, Rocky Smith were in attendance.   Things ended around 7 due to lack of other jammers.  Doing an encore was considered but we didn't follow through on that.

On a side note, I went and sold some CDs to Half Price Books.  Bob Dorr, our fave DJ, managed to pick up my copy of Hound Dog Taylor And The Houserockers Deluxe Edition.  There's more where that came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.