Sunday 16 June 2019

Stone City Weekend: I Think We Did Well

Fox On The Run
Sundown
Greenback Dollar
Cheating Songs
Summertime Blues
Cinnamon Girl
For What Its Worth
Logic And Lies


And with Wooden Nickel Lottery

Rich Toomsen: Lead guitar
Rick Gallo: Lead vocal and guitar
Jess Toomsen: Bass
Delayne Stallman-Drums

I guest starred on drums on Tennessee Whiskey and Ain't No Sunshine.


(Jess Toomsen with  me and fan.  Rich Toomsen took the photo, he took another photo but this was the best of the two)

Saturday Night:  The past three years I took part in the World Naked Bike Ride in Madison but this year after three years of doing that, I figured I would stay close to home.  Besides we had storms in the area.  It was the first time in over a year  that I've seen WNL, and almost four years since me and Jess were the rhythm section.   It was outdoors and while the rains held off, the gnats were terrible. So I had my trademark hat and sunglasses on.  Delayne had a trash crash sounding K that seemed to work well for him.  Last time he had a dark crash 18 inch.  The trash crash is not cheap.  This is the first time I got to be a guest drummer for WNL in their live appearances.  And I had fun.

If memory serves me well, Jess was the first bass player that I paired up when I came out of retirement in 2015, and it was during the Honey Badgers Rumors Jam.  I'm thinking Terry McDowell should consider doing a Honey Badgers reunion.  Perhaps I can talk Julie into doing that if it happens.

Out of the bass players, Jess remains the best looking too.


(Jess didn't like this other photo so at her request we cropped her out, the fan in the back stayed in the picture.  I kinda like his curious look as I played drums on Tennessee Whiskey)

Sunday found me returning to Stone City as Dave Bonham filled in as host and I stayed the whole four hours in support.  Back at Rumors, Tami Soukup made her singing debut with These Boots Are Made For Walking and Rocky Smith filled in for me. I'm sure other drummers showed up as well, namely Mike Lint.   For my acoustic set, there was a mess up on Fox On The Run, that fucking final chorus got the best of me.  I was going to debut Margaritaville, but the fan on the ceiling kept knocking the lyric sheet off, so I just went with For What Its Worth and closed with Logic And Lies.  Dave had enough jammers up there to close the jam at 8 oclock so there was no encore.   Overall, it was a fairly good showing, tho' Thursday Night was the best of the week's jams that I participated in.

On a different note, Jim Jacobmeyer suffered a mild stroke the other night and he says he is fine.  I hope that wasn't in reaction to my performance Thursday Night when I was mad at the world for not getting included in the picnic in the park this Saturday.  I plan to be there anyway but performing?  I am not sure.

Ray Larson, Bill Sclatter, Maki Dervo, Mike Fredericks, Aaron Carl, Carl Meiners, Sue Ellen, Katy Merrifield, Danny Dias and a few others were in attendance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.