Sunday 30 June 2019

Stone City And Rumors-End Of The Month Wrap Up

Fox On The Run
For What It's Worth
Good Time Charlie
Summertime Blues
Everybody's Talking
Cinnamon Girl

Sharon Eide sang on Fox On The Run with me

From the Stone City set list.


Back row:  Bird, Terry, Jeff Taylor, R. Crabby
Front:  Jeff Craft, Kimberly, Tommy, Billy, Ed,Nick,Dan Hartman
Photo: Leeon Adams

The Rumors Sunday Funday Jam  Songs  Includes

Wicked Game
We Live For Love
Petticoat Junction
Gold Dust Woman
Middle Of The Road
Drift Away
Love Me Like A Man
Further Up The Road
Call Me The Breeze


Richard Edward Butler-Vocals and guitar on Wicked Game, We Live For Love, Petticoat Junction
Kim Trevallion-Lead Vocals-Gold Dust Woman-Call Me The Breeze

Tommy Bruner-Guitar and vocals
Randy Burghdorf-Bass
Billy Bourbon-Guitar and vocals
Jeff Craft-Keyboards
Jeff Taylor-Keyboards
Nick Lnenicka-Harmonica

There was a forth song that Ed sang but I'll remember it eventually.


(Stone City 6/30/19.  Donna Sutton-Shaw took the photo and the rest)

Notes:

The stage at the General Store was quite toasty as I battled the hot and stuff air and the 100 flies that were inside.  The monitor speakers didn't work, they got blown from the Evan Stock Band playing the other night.   Basically I played it safe with the songs that I knew by heart.  Donna Sutton Shaw took plenty of photos and it was a rare time I got to see and chat with John Shaw.  He mentioned that Smokin Guns will be calling it quits after this summer.


(Fox On The Run, Sharon Eide on vocal,  probably very tempting to let her sing the chorus alone)

Sharon has been Dave Bonham's girlfriend for about six months but she's been a regular at the Stone City acoustic jams and such.  She sometimes comes up to help me sing background.   She helps a lot.


A rare Sunday that no other drummers showed up to play outside of myself.  Jeff Craft, a keyboardist by trade can play the drums, he did that on Tuesday Night with Kevin Burt, so he became the other drummer to play after I was done.  Unless somebody else showed up after I left.

Tom Berdo came up to ask me about filling in on drums for his band Notes from The Underground in Solon in July.  Told him I'd be happy to help out.  With that, I don't have a Saturday Night off in July.

For Wicked Game, it was Ed doing the honors of singing, which is supposed to be a more subdued uptempo drumming to which I only played it right since returning, with the Boy Scout Hippies.  With Dreams Of Arcadia it's a slow tempo.  Randy continues to think it should be played with a more forceful beat.  I think it's the only song that I pound the drums on.  But perhaps he's not a big fan of that song.   I know Ed did four songs but as usual that last song I can't remember.  Afterwards, I backed Kim from Blue Scratch up on a few songs.  Probably the most we did together since the Blue Scratch November gig I sat in with them.

On the way to Rumor's we got hit with a monsoon storm that knocked power out at home and had 50 MPH winds at around 6 tonight.  Some downed trees in Waubeek.  Brian Bunce mentioned his walnut tree fell on his garage as well.

Second straight time I went to Rumors and was the only drummer there.  Of course it's Forth Of July week too, but still it's weird not to see any other drummers past couple nights.  Jeff Overly had to leave so I didn't jam with him.   Al Hendricks got a laugh out of my Skull shirt, he thought that was so cool.

Usually, the end of the month is me reviewing the month  and comment on things that seem important to me.  We started the month off right with good performances at Whittier with Belinda James singing, then went back into the valley with some off nights before rebounding with a excellent set at The Picnic In The Park, to which all songs were sang from memory.  To which there is a upside to this, the ability to remember a song and go with it, on the other side,  it prevents me from playing new songs and not use the book.  But most musicians will use a lyric book or Ipod to see and sing the words.  I'll continue to play around with new music and then add them once I'm comfortable enough to remember the words and music.


(Nola Drake: Photo of the Waubeek Jam Band, Chuck Savage, Lenny Drake, Phil Bo King, Jim from LA, Nelson Borden, Leo Thompson, playing at the Linn Co State Fair, Central City 6-29-19)

It doesn't bother me anymore on the pairings of musicians and if they're not the A list of hall of fame rockers, everybody brings something to the table.   I rarely jam with Dan Johnson at Parlor City, it's Mark Awad, and he is quite good.  Ed Butler is another eccentric who's become a part of my jam band lineup.  It works out very well.    For drumming behind Julie, I cherish the moments that we do play together.  On guitar, it's a whole different type of sound and not exactly she is looking for.  To which the term it is what it is comes to mind.   She does quite well with others playing guitar.  I just play guitar to amuse myself and see how far I can take it without being bored.

The end of the month thoughts always seem to be around me and her.  Or Ron for that matter.  For a hobbyist like myself it has to be fun.   For Dreams Of Arcadia or Boy Scout Hippies I fill in and add beats and make it dance-able.  Being a temporary drummer it works out for everybody if we know the song and yes getting together to practice makes the songs more polished and tighter.   However I am a lazy sod anyway.  If I know the arrangements and don't overplay, I'll be fine.  And so will be the band.



I am very disappointed that there wasn't any pictures of me playing the Picnic In The Park this year. So I guess we'll have to settle for this photo that Julie took of me that hasn't been published yet.

For the Townedgers' new album, we're  really not in a hurry to complete it.  There hasn't been much of a demand for new product.  I think we have done a fine job and have a good discography to show off the music.  Perhaps we'll record a live performance and go with that.  But I just don't think there's not much of a interest to do another album of 10 to 12 songs and keep it around 35 minutes.  I could be wrong, but if I'm not feeling it, the listener won't either.  That'll be a waste of time.

Till the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.