Tuesday 2 July 2019

Blues Jam: Encounter With The Wild Kat

Parlor City Blues Jam 7/2/19

With:

Jeff Taylor: Keyboards and Lead vocals
Brook Hoover-Guitar
Dan Hartman-Guitar
Dan Johnson-Bass
Bob Gleason-Harmonica
R.Smith-Drums

Tom Giblin: Host
Jon Wilson-Host drummer

Songs were

I'm In A Phone Booth Baby
I Can't Get Next To You Baby

Notes:

After four years, I finally got to hear Kraig Wildcat Spratt play drums in a blues setting.  Earlier in the year I was friends with his sister Kris for about two days raving about him being the best drummer ever.  The stories of him being part of Stone Garden, Hostage, Rampage and Harvey Headbanger are the stuff of legends.  I'm not sure if he knew me from my dealings with his sister or not, we didn't speak with each other in my time there.  But he had people there chatting with him.  I don't think Tom knew him well, he asked me first if I wanted to lead off the second half of playing drums, told him I'd wait a while then Dan mentioned that Kraig was there first.

He's a rock drummer.  He also played way too loud in a blues setting. A lot of attention getting drum rolls and accents which didn't exactly fit the song they were playing, but he was way over the top for the first couple songs, then he did settle down.  Dan probably yelled at him for being too loud.  Jon Wilson did shoot a few glaring looks at him and then went outside for a spell, I didn't chat with Jon tonight.  Certainly the Wildkat lived up to his nickname, he obliterated  Call Me The Breeze. He had the DB rating pegged up to 115 DBs at one time.

For my time, I only sat in on two extended songs.  Jeff did the lead vocals.  I thought he was going to do Pretzel Logic on the last song but went into Can't Get Next To You instead.   Since I'm practicing with The Notes From The Underground Band I didn't ask for any more songs.  I did enough just to say that I managed to get a bit of drum practice in.   My guess is next week, I'll do a few more.

Mark Awad wasn't there, so I got a rare chance to jam with Dan Johnson.

Jeff Taylor now lives in Boston and is back for a month to jam with musicians.  I'm sure I'll be sharing the stage with him again.

Earlier I was going over songs for the next Townedgers Album.  Alas, the humidity didn't help my voice and I didn't sound good on vocals.   I'll try again later in the week to see if I can make any progress.  But today it was a no go on the vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.