Tuesday 30 July 2019

Blues From Parlor City

Statesboro Blues
Everyday I Have The Blues
Blue Mississippi
Have You Ever Loved A Woman
Four In The Morning.

With

Bob Dorr-Harmonica and Lead vocal on 4
Buddy Franklin-Harmonica and Vocals (1-2)
Jeff Petersen-Guitar and Lead vocal on 3,6)
Dan Johnson-Bass
Tommy (Gibby) Giblin-Keyboards
This blogger: drums

NOTES:

A small crowd and myself played along with Bob and Jeff.  Bob and I didn't shake hands, that's not his style but he did nod his head of approval on Blue Mississippi, which is one of the original songs that they're famous for.

Dan believes that the songs go better if I played the ride cymbal and not the hi hats on the faster songs. He knows what he's doing.  I just accommodate to get people to dance.  To which we did.

Dan tried to get a hold of me yesterday about sitting in with American Legend, the band that used to have Tom Timmons on drums, which would have been a honor to play.  But I was out chasing records in Waterloo and didn't get back in time.   I thanked Dan for thinking about me when I caught him at the jam tonight.

Evening supper at Cross Roads Bistro and I ran into Troy Mitchell and a former member of Nite Moves that moved to Arizona.  We chatted for a bit, before Troy had to hurry home and get to bed.  He has to wake up around 2 AM to get to his workplace.   Told him that's usually the time I go to bed.  I don't know how Troy does it, balance work and music while working strange hours,  And I thought I worked strange hours.

When you work with a  legendary DJ and musician, you never quite know what you're up against.  My history with Bob has been chequered at best, somewhat akin to Ron.   He's done wonders for the local music scene and plays harmonica and drums well.  But Bob is not that approachable, unless you're in his inner circle.  I had thought about willing my record collection to him in the past but we have gotten into a couple scrimmages which made me think otherwise.  Judging by the low turnout of jammers some would rather not deal with him.  I like jamming with Bob, he's unique in the way he delivers a blues song such as Have You Ever Loved A Woman and even wanted the song sped up.  The way I like that.  Jeff is the polar opposite of Bob, a down to earth guy that will chat with you on musical things.    The last time we jammed, I decided not to patronize him into being more of a jam friend after he explained how he didn't like other musicians tinker with his drumset.   I could work with his ride cymbal down to my knee and the splash around my shoulder, it's his set up, I adapt to it. I'll abide and leave him to his privacy.  At least for tonight he smiled and acknowledged that I did fairly well on the songs that we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.