Wednesday 10 July 2019

Checkers/Rumors: The Wildcat Meets Acousta Crabby

Checkers Songlist:

Terra-plane  Blues/
Going Down That Old Highway
Fox On The Run
Mercury Blues
For What It's Worth
Cinnamon Girl
Gold Dust Woman
Stop Dragging My Heart Around
Baby What You Want Me To Do
Spirit In The Sky

With
Julie Gordon  Vocals and guitar  (6-10)
Mike Frederick-Backing vocal (10)


Rumors  Humpday Jam

Runaway
Folsom Prison Blues
Gold Dust Woman

Dee Vieman-Vocals
Billy Bourbon-Guitar
Tommy Bruner-Guitar
Randy Burghdorf-Bass
I played drums.

Notes:

Wildcat Spratt has been back on the jam circuit for the past week and is beginning to show a more sensible side of playing drums.  He got the majority of the songs that I played the other day and  I was surprised that he didn't get to play Gold Dust Woman.  Instead they settled on Dreams.   Mike Lint, and DJ Hovenstot were the other drummers besides Terry and myself.  Tim Canfield came up later.  I did three songs, including Runaway and Gold Dust Woman including the jam ending to which we finally getting better at trying to predict where to come in.  We got the people to dance and to me that's all that matters.

I acknowledged the wildcat, by tipping my hat to him on my way out.  There's something about him that makes me realize that we won't be trading drum stories anytime soon. I'm sure his sister may have clued him about me and he looked away when I took over for him on drums.  I'm sure he was watching intently from the back of the room.  Playing through shades, I just smiled and played along.

Runaway and Folsom Prison were the two songs that I forgot to include on the Sunday list.  I might have played them last Wednesday but I managed to remembered them for inclusion for the songs I did.   I had a few brain farts on Gold Dust Woman but nailed the jam part at the end.  I still need to look up the Fleetwood Mac live version.  I'm still not that convinced about the arrangement.

The lateness of the hour, I finally had to get over to Checkers' to help Julie's cause.  Mike Frederick was the only other jammer there.  DJ and Kimberley Hovenstot did showed up later for support.

For some reason, I showed more emotion and bounced around the stage tonight.  The first song was thought up on the spot, Terra Plane Blues, to which it mutated into Going Down That Highway.  I was animated most of the show and while the songs were the usual ones, Julie did help me on  the last five numbers.  I felt bad I didn't get there sooner than I did, since I spent an hour in a half up at Rumors waiting to play behind Mike Lint and the Wildcat.  When DJ showed up, I could leave and make it to Checkers within 5 to 10 minutes, it's not that far.

Mercury Blues was done in a different key and I was fudging on the chords and it became something different.  So I danced around, did some Elvis moves and hammed it up.  Julie did remarked she has never seen this side of me.   I did a groovy job.

This was more Julie's show than it was mine, especially on the last few cuts.  She managed to do some guitar finger picking on Baby What You Want Me To Do.   And like Rumors, Gold Dust Woman figured into this, this time Julie continues to show that she owns this song when it is played.
Mike Frederick took the video to which at the end DJ remarked,  "have you played enough Fleetwood Mac yet?"

I can't top that one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.