Sunday 14 July 2019

Stone City-Basement Revival

Fox On The Run
Let's Work Together
Switch Board Susan
Everybody's Talking
Cinnamon Girl


And with Angie Cox, Carl Meiners, Maki Dervo, Mike Frederick, Lenny Drake, Danny Dias, Ken Becicka and David Pedersen

Knocking On Heaven's Door
You Ain't Going Nowhere
Wagon Wheel (yuck)
Will The Circle Be Unbroken

NOTES:

The finale of the week long tour of jams around the area to support my forth anniversary of playing again.  I didn't intend to go anywhere, but at the last minute opted to stay close to home and play Stone City and let the wildcat pound away at Rumors this afternoon in my absence.  Basically it's the start of a long stretch of hot and humid weather so I put the AC in the window and fucked off the rest of the day watching the Cubs win on the net and being lazy.  I figured I better do something to be productive.

The General Store was packed, and it was quite stuffy indoors.  And of course, the Goddamn flies were everywhere, I counted six of them flying fucks at the table I sat next to Carl so I basically moved to place with less flies, tho' I did nail about three of them and still have 20 more buzzing around my head.  Which is why I wear a hat, I hate them landing on my head.

Again, the songs used are becoming the ones that I play more often since I remember the words best. Somehow Good Time Charlie and Summertime Blues got passed over for Switch Board Susan and if I know the words, I can move from song to song.   There was this great looking woman I took notice and sang Switch Board Susan and dedicated that one to her.  I'm thirty years older and she was with somebody anyway but me and Lane couldn't keep our eyes off her.  Doesn't hurt to look.

Tonight was the debut of a group of teens known as Basement Revival, a group of kids playing rock and roll and pissing off the old folks there.  I had to laugh at the group at the table in front of me with discouraging looks and fingers stuck in their ears as the band tried to play The Boys Are Back In Town and later did three other songs.  Kinda reminded me of my old band when we started out.  This time these guys had electric drums so Lane could control the volume.  They didn't play a tenth as loud as Paraphernalia/Tyrus did back in our heyday. Probably a good thing, had we played they would have shut us down after one song.

I might be pushing sixty but I'll always will root for the new generation of kids playing rock and roll. They are a endangered bunch with rap and bad country out there.  These kids did well despite the odds and they got to play four songs.

Angie Cox, then ended the jam, and she let me pop on stage with the rest of the gang to do four songs, usually the four songs she does including the execration sound of Wagon Wheel but I did sang back up on Heaven's Door and Nowhere.  Angie tends to wander off her way on the songs, especially she picked up the banjo on the last two numbers.   Which is why I didn't plug on, better to play solo, so low nobody hears me.  Despite the flies and stuffiness of the place it was a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.