Saturday 13 July 2019

Whittier With Belinda James And Friends-Strictly Acoustic

Songs:

It's Been A While
Fox On The Run
Good Time Charlie*
Fever
Let's Work Together Blues
When You Say Nothing At All
Ole 55
This Ole House**
Stand By Me*
It's Too Late
What's Up

* I played guitar to other people singing the songs
** David Lam-Vocals
Belinda James-Lead Vocals, 1,4,6,11


Notes:

I took the Silvertone guitar to Whittier, and played two songs on it but it would not stay in tune, so I went home and picked up the Guild and things were a lot better after that.

For the first time, it was a strictly acoustic setting, no microphones whatsoever.  I was the only one that brought a amp.   This was also a short night, Boy Scout Hippies were playing down the road and when they got done, they would have a fireworks show.  So most folk went down there.

Belinda did fine, tho' today was her anniversary to her late husband and she went into pieces on When You Say Nothing At All.  Ole 55 was followed but she was still emotional over the previous song.  First time I played Ole 55 since April.  It's Too Late made its debut.  It's off the Tales From The Red Caboose album of 1987.

Belinda got the last song.  By 9 oclock everybody was ready to pack up and go see the fireworks so I concluded it with the reggae version of What's Up, and I think that helped Belinda getting over the sadness for a moment at least.




And now, the highlights of four years of playing music.  A return from a retirement that lasted three decades.  I never been much in terms of jumping into bands and creating havoc, when you have a evening job, that pays the bills, music has to be a hobby.  Unlike my friends Terry and Mike, I cannot balance a job and playing in four other bands.  Besides I am too lazy to commit anymore. Plus it has to be fun.

When I compiled the four year all time best, I know there are moments that has fallen along the way. There are special moments when I reunited with my bandmates Russ and Dewayne at Rumors/Wrigleyville and of course not so great moments.  Not so proud moments such as a punk rock version of Crossroads with Tim Riley and Ryan Paul to which Ken Webb got blisters on his fingers trying to keep up on me.  Or Kim Bean screaming not to his cymbals so fucking hard on a 2016 jam. Or countless others telling me not to play so loud.  Sometimes you can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself, or go insane trying to please them all.

I have had more pictures taken of me playing the past four years, then all of the 35 years preceding. Not much exist outside of the Paraphernalia show at the OK Lounge, so I made it a honest effort to at least capture all of the good and bad moments since coming back.  From the first photo by Kim Barely to the last by Jim Jacobmeyer, these photos captured the moment of playing songs.  It boggles the mind that I'm still having Dave Bonham and Dan Hartman along with the ride.  It also boggles the mind that I managed to document these happenings on a social media site that still is running today. I wrote down the things that happened.  Sometimes the truth could hurt but not everything you will agree with other musicians.  I document them as they happened.   So in the end, after four years of playing and hanging out, these are the memories that best describe my best moments of playing.



(Kim Barely:Photo Credit)

This week  marks four years of playing at jams around the area. To mark the occasion here are ten songs that defined this era. (plus two bonus tracks) 

1) Dreams I'll Never See (with Four Day Creep)
The signature song that I usually jam with Rick Clay, tho this song took effect when Duane C. in town got me to play the accents on this song. Since then it has been one of the highlights of jamming with 4DC.

2) Fever (With Belinda James)
Another signature song. First time I met Belinda, Terry asked me to help her on this song. It has always been quite jazzy, but there was a good version when Tommy Bruner made it even more jazzier. I play it better on drums but when Belinda is town and the Egads show up, I'm doing the guitar riffs.

3) Gold Dust Woman (With Julie Gordon, others)
Most recently, at Rumors, with Dee singing this, Bird and Billy decided to tack on the ending from The Chain to make it more rocking and I caught on to it later. To these ears Julie owns this song.

4) For What It's Worth (With Phil Bo King, Dave Bonham)
One of the songs that I can sing from memory and can play on guitar. Best version came from the Maury Baker jam last Jan. and Phil Bo made it his song with a cool lead. Dave also has helped me on guitar too.

5) The Weight (With Meinfield, Notes From The Underground)
Levon Helm has always had such a groove. Greg and Brenda have done a cool version of this song.

6) Wicked Game (With Dreams Of Arcadia, Ed Butler)
I think the slower version works best tho' The Boy Scout Hippies did the Chris Issak version. DOA has a nice sadness to the song thanks to Ryan Paul's keyboard work. But Ed's version is the most eccentric.

7) Whiplash (With Maki Dervo)
Maki is way out there, I'd love to spend a few hours in his head trying to take note of what beats he'd like for these songs, usually Bo Diddley, usually world music. And the biggest collection of pan flutes anywhere.

8) Logic And Lies (Solo)
Made famous for my open mic showcases at Artisan Sanctuary. I guess it's the theme song

9) The Twist Medley (with Ernest Sippie Bynum)
Ernest is basically famous for this song. He holds the record for loudest vocals ever at Parlor City (121 DB) and when he shows up he'll sing this and then go into Bring It On Home To Me.

10) Cinnamon Girl (with Julie and the Mad Dogs, Solo)
It took me forever to finally play the GD thing on guitar and even today it's still a hassle, but it's another song that I can recite with the songbook. I'm just as home playing drums on it too.

Bonus track) Graciously (with Cali Jean Blake n Boy Scout Hippies)
In my special appearances with Boy Scout Hippies, they could play songs from Lucinda Williams and this was one of the highlights of the gigs, especially when Cali sang it. If you're thinking of putting a Lucinda Williams tribute band together, she'd be the perfect singer.

Bonus Track 2) Midnight Rambler (With Tommy Bruner)
A very tricky song to pull off, due to a shuffle at the beginning, a boogie part, a slow blues grind and all out shuffle rock at the end. Dueling harmonicas from Nick Lnenicka and Bob Gleason really makes this one of the most fun songs to do at the Sunday Funday Jam at Rumors.

There's plenty more song that I enjoy but i do think these are the ones are best associated with me. Thanks to jammers for the memories and music. With your help I have finally kicked watching the TV habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.