Wednesday 3 July 2019

The Third Of July Jam-Rumors, The Mein's

Rumors

Songs include

Born On The Bayou
Gold Dust Woman
Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Proud Mary
Stuck In The Middle With You

With:
Jeff Taylor, Billy Bourbon, Tommy Bruner, Tim Canfield , Dee Vieman and Terry Mcdowell



The 7th annual 3rd Of July Party Hosted by The Meins

Draggin The Line
Ain't No Sunshine
True love ways
Learning To Fly
A Little Help From My Friends
End Of The Line
You'll Ac-comply Me
Runaway Train

With
Terry McCauley
Greg Mein
Mike Williams
Bonnie Harrison
Donna Jo
Maki Dervo
Ryan Paul
Brenda Hoskins Mein


There are songs from both sets I have forgotten



Notes:

I started practicing the with guys from Notes From The Underground before making my way up to Rumors and then to the Greg and Brenda's place.  The Rumors' jam had Dee Vieman, doing about six songs of note.  Dammed if I remember the ones that got away.  Also Wildkat Spratt once again made a special showing again.  But of course he left before I took the stage.

Ryan bought his recently purchased drum-set up to the Mein's.  And Bonnie Harrison was playing the majority of the time helping out Mike Williams.  Funny how we never associate much but I did about six songs before Bonnie returned back to the stage.  Since I've been playing drums all day, I didn't put up much of a fight to keep playing.  But it was the first time I got to share the stage with Terry McCauley.  Ryan bought this drum set with cymbals included for 300 dollars, a fairly good deal if you are wanting to let somebody play your drums.  He had the Zildjian  Pitch Black Series, which is basically ZBT's painted black.  The Ride cymbal sounded great, the crashes not much so.

Terry McDowell, had a slimmed down lineup. A RUDE 24 inch ride and his trusty Zildjian 12 inch splash cymbal.  I can't blame him for slimming down on a Wednesday Night.  Mike Lint was the other drummer (besides Kraig Spratt) and that's all who showed up, Drummers.  Tim offered to teach me how to play bass.  God bless him.

When I was practicing with the NFTU boys, their main drummer hang around and showed me how they played the more tricky songs.  He had practice cymbals a ZBT ride crash and a unknown 16 inch crash, Paiste sounding but I doubt if it was one.  So I don't do much crashing on the cymbals, just providing a beat to shape around their sound.  They had some cool, songs, Radar Gun, Thousand Dollar Car from the Bottle Rockets, US Blues from the Grateful Dead, Cinnamon Girl, etc etc.  and the guys welcomed me into the fold as their temporary go to guy.  Comparing them to Boy Scout Hippies, I tend to favor their songs over BSH.  They do know their stuff, even tho' I had trouble trying to place the beat on Smokin 100's Alone. We'll get together again next week and polish some things up before the 27th where they'll be playing Solon.   Great guys, and Tom's doggie Dollie seemed to love me.  A good sign when the band's dog likes you.

Since Big Mac, had a basic drum, it kept the Wildkat in check. From what I heard, he was a 100 percent more quieter  than he was last night at Parlor City. My guess with Jeff Taylor in town for the month, Kraig has decided to hit the jams on drums.  Quite all right by me.

The other Terry, played Learning To Fly, which was a Tom Petty song, to which Ryan came up to me with wide eyed look, he's playing Tom Petty he exclaimed,  I just smiled in wink.  I think Ryan did leave after that.  I stayed around long enough to hear Terry end his set with Take Me Home Country Roads to which Bonnie played drums.

Donna Jo and Bill Elsner were there, so was Joe Hutchcroft as well.

Image may contain: fireworks, sky, cloud, night and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.