Sunday 21 July 2019

Stone City Acoustic Jam-MHS 40th Reunion

Let's Work Together
Fox On The Run
Cinnamon Girl
I Fought The Law
Everybody's Talking
Summertime Blues
Gold Dust Woman

Kimberly Trevillion-Lead vocals on Gold Dust Woman
Doug Kovarik-Percussion on Gold Dust Woman
Dave Petersen-Backing vocals on Summertime Blues and Gold Dust Woman
Donna Jo Elsner-backing vocal and percussion on Everybody's Talking and Gold Dust Woman

Plus, With Angie Marie Cox

Knocking On Heaven's Door
You Ain't Going Nowhere
Hurricane
Wagon Wheel (Of course)

With:  Donna Jo, Maki Dervo, Danny Dias, Dougie Kovarik, and Ken Becicka

Carl Meiners is doing the RAGBRAI trip across the state.



(Doug Spinler playing the Blue Brat, to which it didn't break a string surprise surprise.  Jill Cram took the photo)



(Gold Dust Women, Kimberley and Donna Jo, Plus Dougie on congas)

Notes:

This weekend was the Marion High School 40th Reunion.  I still cannot fathom being out of high school 40 summers ago.  It still seems like yesterday.  I will probably post the pictures at the end of the month thoughts, but for the most part I avoided the camera's eye.  The get together was Friday Night at Bricks and the place was a sauna.  Hot and stuffy.  I only stayed there for an hour and a half. Russ made it Friday Night but the next day, he announced that his Dad passed away.  He was 93.  His dad lived a full life and all of his children came out great.

The next night, the big event was at A Touch Of Class and despite the 35 dollar tag to mingle with classmates, we drew a bigger crowd than the 2009 get together.  People remain the same, the elite tends to stick together while us lesser known hung with the other lesser known.  I spent the most part of the evening with Doug Spinler, Tom Bowler, Tim Henderson plus Dana Marloff and Jill Cram who came up from Florida.  I am facebook friends with a couple that did not associate with me during the past two and managed to pick up a new friend in Mark Vasey, tho we never talked much in school.  I did bring a guitar just in case Doug wanted to play a song or them wanted me to do a song but Doug did do one song, while his wife held the microphone.  Doug has been a very good friend of mine for many years and perhaps we should have played more together when the time was right.  However in high school I didn't play at all, mostly out of tune guitar bits and coffee can solos.  I did not see the need to play anything since I didn't play the variety shows back then but Doug did.  Janeen Crowley did a fine job putting this two day event, they even had a part set aside for the ones in our class that passed away.  Only ones that were missing was Mike Pollack and Mark Ryan.  Unlike the last reunion, I didn't close the place down, I left at 11 PM, to which most of my friends did as well.

For today it was Stone City, and Kimberley sat in to finish up my set with Gold Dust Woman and her version is slightly different than Julie's.  She did a few songs with Lane Gaffney and then with Dan Hartman sang Walking After Midnight.  She's slowly becoming more of a presence on stage with me, be it drums or guitar.  She's the most powerful vocalist in town, Julie is the most Stevie Nicks like on the songs we play, Belinda James is very melodic but Kim is by far the strongest voice there.  I earlier played in the day with Dreams Of Arcadia at the Office this afternoon, Belinda showed up later on and we all tried out the Chinese place in downtown Monticello.  The Chicken Fried Rice might have been the most closest in taste next to the old China place in Metro Center in Phoenix.  But I haven't been to Phoenix in over 6 years.  I'm not sure if it's still there.



It was Doug's birthday and he played harmonica or congas, so he helped me out on Gold Dust Woman with Kim and Donna Jo.  Donna Jo sang harmony with me on Everybody's Talking.  For the past few weeks, I haven't changed the setlist at all, I can now play Fox On The Run with those ridiculous chord changes.   I did change the beginning chords to Let's Work Together to E rather than A, and then A to I Fought The Law, which is usually G C D.  I got lost in the clouds trying to remember the first verse of Summertime Blues and then found them.  Overall, my performance was pretty good today.  And then I stuck around to help Angie on her four songs including, (Yawn) Wagon Wheel.  I know when she is at the General Store she'll play that plus You Ain't Going Nowhere and Knocking On Heaven's Door tho she did play a new song called Hurricane.  Maki played percussion.


(Dougie, Maki, Angie Marie,Jay, Danny, I'm behind Dougie, hiding from the camera)

Maki did acquire a pair of congas for free and has been using them the past couple weeks.  I really haven't made any effort to play them tho' I did carried them upstage.  They are quite heavy, even more than Ryan Paul's Black Beauties.  Awkward and cumbersome too.

Dave Pedersen is the lead singer of the local band The 100's and he closed the set with four originals and When I Paint My Masterpiece, the old Band song.  He's very down to earth and easy to talk to about music. I can probably seeing doing something with him in the future.

Lane concluded the jam with Seven Bridges Road to which Donna Jo, Dougie playing harmonica an percussion too. I stayed at the General Store after playing Monticello and didn't feel like running into town to play Rumors.  But they had plenty of people there, namely Joe Huchcroft and Kraig Spratt and a few others playing drums.  We'll see about getting back there next Sunday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.