Sunday 7 July 2019

Stone City/Rumors; Play With Authority

Six Days On The Road
Fox On The Run
Listen To Love
Let's Work Together
Summertime Blues
Cinnamon Girl


The Stone City Set list.

I led things off and then went into town to play the Rumors Jam.  Highlight was watching a couple little kids dancing to my songs.  Never seen that happen before.


Rumors Sunday Funday Jam

Songs Include

Me And Bobby McGee
Gold Dust Woman
Runaway
Proud Mary
Folsom Prison Blues
Oh Lomesome Me
Born On The Bayou



With;
Jeff Taylor, Billy Bourbon, Tommy Bruner, Dee Vieman, Nick Lnencika, Terry McDowell and Randy Burgendorf


"Play with authority"  Bird


The Waubeek All Stars:

Chuck Savage
Nelson Borden
Jim Myers
Maki Dervo
Dave Bonham
Katy Merrifield
Lenny Drake
Dave Lam
R.Smith
Captain Kirksey


Notes:

The Waubeek Jam featured four other drummers, tho I have to practically drag Maki up there to play some songs.  I think Waubeek is perfect for a lighter touch on drums.  Playing with regular sticks gave me a headache.  Switching to hot rods was a better ideal, tho the usual complaints of playing too loud on drumsticks were heard from.  Katy Merrifield did one of her best performances in quite some time.   Nelson Borden and Jim Myers were the main drummers while I took a break and watch the Cubs win last night.

We had a bat that flew into the bar and it took about 10 minutes to capture it and set it free.  On a related note, Ron and Dakota were playing in Cedar Rapids so we didn't get to see them at the bar.  With Nelson and Jim playing more drums I could lay back and just have fun.  I did provide some backing vocals to Angie Cox's version of Surrender, with Nelson playing drums.

I led off the Sunday Stone City Jam with six short numbers, dusting off Six Days On The Road and playing Listen To Love as a original. Had a mother dancing with two kiddies during my set.  Never had that happened before.  I didn't stay there very long.  Too many fucking flies in the place.

Rumors was next.  Kraig Spratt was there and got to do two song blocks, I did one.  As far as I know we were the only drummers up there.  A lot of people consider him a legend and perhaps he is coming out of the woodwork to jam again.  I still haven't chat with him, I don't know if his sister might have mentioned about me playing in jams or not, I really don't care.  I know I did six songs with Dee singing them but outside of the four that I played the other night with her, I can't remember them.  I think I'm more into trying to post the songs I did on the acoustic side of things more than the Rumors jam.  But  Dee did a  cool version of Bobby McGee.  Last Wednesday, Mike Lint played it.

Before we played Randy asked me if I remembered the last thing he taught me and I looked at him blindly and he said Remember, You Got TO PLAY WITH AUTHORITY!  (and attack the drums.)  Since I have short term memory loss, I forgot what he said till he grilled that into my mind this afternoon.   Randy is a great bass player, has a good feel for things and I have to really concentrate on what he does and apply the beats where needed.  This guy has been one of the longer lasting members of Rare Earth, and he knows how to feel for music.  Me not so much, but that's why I look at each and every guy on stage.  I may not quite master the song in the way that they play them but I adapt very well.   I've been playing Gold Dust Woman in my own way for so long, that I forgot the rocking ending of that song and for the second time  Randy and Billy started playing the riff to that.  Still caught me off guard but I got them rocking again.   And then the Proud Mary (Ike/Tina) version to which Bird sings the bass part.  Bird could be gruff but if you're on his wavelength and beat, he'll give you great praise.  What I like about him

Even Russ did some off the wall songs, Knocking On Heaven's Door was one song, the other I can't think of but he did do Can't Get Enough.  Somehow Knocking On Heaven's Door caught the Wildcat  off guard, he was playing a uptempo beat before getting to the right beat, thanks to Bird coaching him along.  Make no mistake Kraig is a rock drummer, probably more hair metal than he lets on.  Despite what Kris has raved about, I have to keep an open mind about his playing, plus his history and not get sucked into the hype.  He's a professional, and he catches on if he shows up at more jams.  After all, this was the first Rumors jam Kraig played in quite some time.  If he becomes a regular, chances are we will have to meet and chat.

This was the third time this week that our paths have crossed.  I do not look at him as competition to be the best;  I'll leave him to do all the drum accents and rolls that gets people attention.  I'll just focus on the beats and watching my bandmates on stage, and get people dancing.  If I do that, and I did that tonight, then I can go home happy.  He's a hall of famer, but this ole hobbyist has been known to play a nice beat too. And play with authority, like Bird said.  And the next time I damn well better remember that remark when he quizzes me on that.

Afterwards, after my set, The Wildcat returned back on stage for another round but by then, I had to make a recycle run and said goodbye to Terry, George and Al.  It was about 7 30 and I could actually get a little exercise.  There was this young woman in short shorts tending to the New Bo garden next to Sinclair Park.  I knew the right time to look and trying not to look.  It's hard not to look when they bend over just right.  Finally shielding my eyes I walked away only to hear a crunch sound.  I turned around and saw somebody rear-ended a car.  The dude in the red convertible got distracted and bumped into the black car in front of it.  Naturally the woman in the black car wasn't too happy.  I can't say I blame her,

I'd be pissed off too.

And despite what people tell you.  Ringo Starr is still a great drummer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.