Thursday 23 December 2021

Checkers-With Jules n Dave-Carry On Wayward Son

Songs played

Get Rhythm
Ring Of Fire
Jet Airliner 
I Fought The Law
For What It's Worth
Everybody's Talking
Train Goes Nowhere
Mercury Blues 
Cinnamon Girl
Bright Lights, Big City
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

And somebody gave me twenty bucks for my trouble.  What a cool guy who did that.




Kevin Sinmacher passed away yesterday from COVID.   It was a shock to hear about this.  Kevin was instrumental in taking photos of me when I played at Rumors.  He made me feel like I was a part of Dreams Of Arcadia when we opened up for Four Day Creep in 2019.  You could always find him around New Bo putting videos of bands playing at New Bo or The Chrome Horse.  He was a classic rock music lover from beginning to end.  He loved Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas.  To which that song will be forever known when I think of Kevin.  When he filmed Four Day Creep and Dreams Of Arcadia, he put a hidden camera on the drums and there's an unedited version of that with me mugging at the camera.  Sometimes I didn't care for some of the photos taken of me but in reality Kevin knew what he was doing, even if I didn't think much of the photos.  Such as this one that Kevin took.  Kevin played in bands known as Harvey Headbanger, Robin Banks and Retro Rockets, the last one his regular band.  I got to see him a couple more times down in New Bo.  Me and Patrick Lower saw Retro Rockets after the No Limits Band finished up their Homestead gig.  

Pat Ticklenburg and Quinton Duarte were part of the showcase tonight.  Rick Wingle played after I left.  Get Rhythm was thought up on the spot when it came to requested Johnny Cash numbers.  Of course I had to do Ring Of Fire, but forgot If I Were A Carpenter, which I could have done had I known. Pat did Dead Flowers later on the show.  Another number I could have done but spaced it off.

In short, most of the usual suspects were here, tho Santa Claus Is Coming To Town was a lousy way to end my set.  I think I did one too many songs but Dave kept saying One More, so Bright Lights Big City was done as the encore.  In the end, somebody did left a 20 on my guitar case, so therefore, it was a paying gig.  And a fun one to boot.  But alas, this would be the last Checker's Acoustic Jam for awhile. It's been put on hold once again. 

See you on the other side Kevin.

Kevin Jay Simnacher, 61, of Cedar Rapids passed away on Wednesday, December 22, 2021.

He was born to Robert and Phyllis (Martin) Simnacher in Vinton, Iowa. He graduated from Vinton High School in 1979 and obtained a graphics arts degree in 1981 Hawkeye Community College. He married the love of his Danielle on November 16, 1990, in Waterloo, Iowa.

Kevin had a love for the arts, graphic arts, and music particularly. His passion in life was being a musician and his beloved bunnies.

Left to cherish his memory is his wife, Danielle of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; parents Robert and Phyllis Simnacher of Vinton, Iowa; sister Becky VanWey of Brandon, Iowa.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be in care of his parents, Robert and Phyllis Simnacher at 5521 23rd Ave Drive Vinton, Iowa 52349.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.