Sunday 19 December 2021

Stone City-God Rest Ye Gentlemen

Songs:

Logic And Lies
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Scrooge
Little Drummer Boy
Midnight Rider
Summertime Blues
Lynch Party
Cinnamon Girl

With:
Dave Bonham, Lane Gaffney, Mak Dervo, Bill Sclettler, Ray Larsen, Danny Trumm, Jay Devore, Mikey Frederick, Katy Merrifield, Kat Blue, Dave Kirzen  and others.

And Phil Bo and his wife.





While the COVID epidemic has once again cut into the regular jams in town, I decided to stick close to home and played a few songs.  I'm still not exactly back into the acoustical groove but at least I'm hiding the shortcomings.  The second and final show of Christmas songs, I had one girl smile upon hearing Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, and perhaps I could have thrown in Jingle Bells.  But I figure three songs were more than enough. 

This was my third Stone City showing in three months, particularly going to town to play the Rumors jam instead.  I really have no interest of going to Troy Mills to Dharma's open mic, it's actually more out of the way rather than the five minutes getting to the General Store and hanging with friends there.  Bryce Janey is a great guy and maybe some day I'll get to Dharma's.  I'm not just interested of having to deal with his dad, tho he has mellowed over time.  From what I have heard.

With DJ Hovenstot being nailed with COVID from his birthday jam (He might have contacted that during the Eagles Club Black Friday Jam)  I decided to hold off going to Rumors till next year.  If we are not too busy at work, maybe I'll help Terry with the Whisky Jo's Wednesday Night Jam.  It sounds like Checkers' might be putting the Thursday Night acoustic jam on hold after this year.  PJ hasn't exactly been getting people and jammers to come to these things, even the Avery Grouws Jam didn't bring a whole lot of folk out (tho Blues Rox did show up).  My guess this is the last Thursday jam and it's with Julie and Dave.  

Kimberly was in Stone City but left to go to Rumors.  We didn't talk about playing together tonight and I couldn't remember the songs that we did together outside of Gold Dust or Dreams.  The folk wanted to hear the Who, so I did Summertime Blues, and next time we'll do Behind Blue Eyes.  I just didn't practice the latter song before going to Stone City.  Ray Larson did do Country Roads, to which I messed around with it today.  But didn't feel comfortable playing that song.

My first full week coming back from my own Covid Flu/Cold Crap and I did surprised myself in how well the songs did go.  But in reality, a lack of practice due to Covid Flu made me too tired to even practice.  But perhaps for 2022, I will do better to perform songs again.   I don't know about the future of Blues Rox, nor having talk to the guys about what they think.  Dave mentioned that the bass player is the weakest link to that band, others say it's the rhythm guitarist.  The lack of practice between us hurts our performances.  Can the guys get it together before the next gig?  I don't know but I haven't exactly been gung ho either.  

For a Sunday before Christmas weekend, The General Store had plenty of people there and things were still hopping when Mak Dervo took the stage and me heading home.   I just didn't see going to Cedar Rapids tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.