Wednesday 28 February 2018

Checkers Jam 2/28/18

Setlist:  (Missing a couple of them that I played congas on)

Woman (Sensuous Woman)
She Belongs To Me
When Will I Be Loved
Logic And Lies
Everybody's Talking (Donna Jo: Co-Vocal)
Simple Man (Lorie Parker: Lead Vocal)
Can't You See (Cathy Hart: Lead Vocal)
Proud Mary (Lorie Parker: Lead Vocal)
Keep Your Hands To Yourself (David Boston:Lead Vocal)
Tennessee Whiskey (David Boston:Lead Vocal)
Sweet Home Chicago (Lorie Parker: Lead Vocal)
What's Up (Barb Myers: Lead Vocal)
Boobyful (Lorie Parker: Lead Vocal)
Fishing In The Dark (Cathy Hart: Lead Vocal)
Sweet Home Alabama (Cathy Hart: Lead Vocal)

With:
Abigail Bunker, Bart Carfizzi, Donna Snow, Joe Hutchcroft, Kathy Carfizzi, Luther Parker, Mike Spina, Jeff Gage, PJ and Pam Herrington, David Eisner

And:

Cathy Hart
Lorie Parker
Barb Myers
Mike Frederick
David Arnold
Donna Jo




It's been two months since I have frequented Cathy and Lorie's jam at Checkers.  The fact that I have been doing the Thursday's open mic at Artisan Sanctuary was one reason, the other their jams came on nights I couldn't get the the night off.  But I missed jamming with Cathy and Lorie so I took a personal night off just to say hi and rekindled the good vibes.  I did tell Cathy afterwards that I promise that it won't be 2 months before she sees me again.

It was a weird night.  Bart Carfizzi brought his keyboard and made a jam for the first time in quite a while   At times he struggled.  Hotel California was aborted after a couple verses and Lorie Parker did The Logical Song.   He's still having pain issues but for about 2 hours he did withstand the pain and stayed for a while.  Joe did sing some of the songs, just like they did when they were known as Bartsky and Hutch, but it seemed a bit awkward between them.  Joe's a good singer, and damn good drummer but I'm not sure if The Fossiltones are playing or still together.  Either way, Joe did mentioned he was looking a new band to join.  And then some black guy named Jeremiah came up and tried to sing a song playing from the juke box.  It didn't exactly worked.

Sensuous Woman made it's debut.  I forgot to bring the lyrics to Keep On Truckin but I didn't need to sing it   My performance wasn't that great, She Belongs To me, I couldn't read the lyrics very well and had to improvise   Had a couple people singing along to When Will I Be Loved, and for shits and giggles did the high end falsetto to Everybody's Talking with Donna Jo helping on vocals.  After that, I played guitar to the easy song segment of the show and then retired the guitar and played congas the rest of the way.

I got to chat with Brenda for a spell and it was fun to reconnect with her.   I really don't see her that much since relocating my Sunday jam to Stone City and for the most part she picks and chooses the ones that she wants to go to and avoid certain musicians.  I did tell her about the Stone City jam and that her and Joe should check it out.   We kinda chatted about Tommy and him going from Past Masters to the Kick It band.  Tommy has become a bit more restless since their breakup and it wasn't pretty.  The damage was done and it was extensive.

Even more so, when I was taking my guitar out to the car and putting it away, there was a couple having a shouting match at one another.  It was a strange ending to a night of positives and general weirdness.  I really didn't want to stay around and be caught in their crossfire of F bombs and other four lettered words of hatred.   And besides, my supper didn't agree with me at all.  I had to make a couple pit stops to use to the loo.

And still paying for it as I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.