Sunday 4 February 2018

Stone City General Store Acoustic Performance 2/4/18

Setlist:

Fox On The Run
Branded Man
All Along The Watchtower
Ring Of Fire
Lynch Party
Everybody's Talking

With

Lane Gaffney
Bill Schlatter
Maki Dervo
Dana Rocky Smith


It was a busy week for me.  Saturday, I played percussion for Dreams Of Arcadia in Solon.  It was fried chicken night and I'm not a big chicken eater but did buy the dinner and had mostly potatoes and pork n beans, not exactly a great idea but oh well.  Pat Geasland took over on percussion on some songs and I backed Julie up on Gold Dust Woman.  Belinda James sang  on a couple numbers.  I really didn't need to bring my guitar, I used Ryan's.  Anyway, the Legion Hall guy said that they served 443 pounds of chicken to feel the starving masses and that place was packed and stayed fairly packed through most of the DOA performance.   My wrists were killing me after pounding on the Cajole most of the night.  Hand drums will kill your wrist if not careful.  But that was my decision to keep the beat for them.  And it did get people out dancing.


Another first was checking out the Stone City Acoustic Jam.  I live 5 miles away from the General Store and this was my debut.  Since it was super bowl Sunday, only two other guitar players showed up and Rocky Smith appeared later.  I decided on a more country/folk type of songs this time out, nothing too complicated outside of Fox On The Run.  and a botched note on a couple of songs.  Lane Gaffney was there at the Maury Baker Jam on Wednesday so we shared a few stories along the way.  Maki entertained us with some interesting songs, namely Whiplash, a original that was requested.  For the sing along, I chose Knockin on Heaven's Door.

It seems to me that when I announce that I'll be playing a jam, I go to the ones that nobody shows up.  Usually Stone City jam has plenty of pickers, it may have been the weather as well but when I ventured in, I wonder if they did had a jam.  Lane was hosting this one  and we connected well. I decided to go Stone City after I came home after crashing at Julie's place and had to deal with a clipper making rural driving a pain in the ass to get home around noon.  However, the sun and winds came out soon after that but thankfully died down once the sun had set. Maki and Rocky both were at Waubeek last night and they said the place was packed.  I settled on a mushroom burger at the General Store and they were excellent.  We did have about 10 people in the audience and they seemed to like the music.

That's all that matters.

Notes:  The Rumors Jam continued, but since I made it home, I didn't see the need to make a second trip into town. For the near future I'm sure I'll be back sooner  if I'm not doing things with Julie in town.  I know Carl was doing his best to get me to go to Stone City and I knew I would get there eventually.   I didn't figure I would wait this long to actually do this.  The Rumor's Jam still remains special and I'll support Terry's efforts to keep it going.   My priorities remain the same, support Julie and the nights she hosts the acoustic jams and her bands.  At the same time the 2nd Saturday of the month is Whittier Jam. Anything else will have to wait.

Oh, I got to play guitar on Dervo's version of Whiplash.  That was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.