Sunday 18 February 2018

Stone City Acoustic Showcase: 2/18/18

Songs:

She Belongs To Me
When Will I Be Loved
Fox On The Run
Jet Airliner.

Hosted by Bubba Johannes

With:
Glen Gardner
Bill Schlatter
Ray Larson
Aaron from Central City
Mike Frederick
Bart Bock
Maki Dervo
Dusty The Piano Player
John Waite
Richard Budde on drums
Julie Gordon


(Photo: Glen Gardner-County Home Rd looking west)

Notes:  A very bluegrass slanted jam of sorts tonight. The crowd wasn't as big as last week and it got to be a musician's crowd when I took the stage.  She Belongs To Me and When Will I Be Loved made their debut.

Glen Gardner did a version of Everybody's Talking instead of me.  So I did Jet Airliner instead.  We talked about it earlier and he wanted to do a version of it.  His was more closer to Nilsson's version than mine.  I thought he did a good job of that song.

For four songs, it was a very short set.  About 10 minutes worth.  Bart Bock ran sound while Bubba was on break.

Maki Dervo, played a set with six year old Madison being guest vocalist.

Richard (Dick) Budde, bought drums up to assist the fellow jammers up on stage.  He has played at Whittier and Checkers on occasion.  I didn't use him on my songs, since the first two songs were debuts and I didn't have any rock songs to suit him.  But perhaps on future jams I'll tap him to play drums on a few songs.

On the local scene Ron Dewitte lost his battle with cancer on Sunday.  He was 68.  Dewitte was a legend among the music scene in Cedar Rapids with Flock Of Funk and also part of The Blue Band. He eventually married Lynn Rothrock in 2005 and they became a duo of sorts.  Dewitte continued to play guitar till November of last year and by then the cancer became too painful for him to continue. I didn't know Ron personally but I have heard great things about him and people always give him a high regard.  He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.