Sunday 25 February 2018

Stone City Acoustic Showcase-Forgot My Songbook Julie To The Rescue

Songs:

Everybody's Talking
Lynch Party
Ring Of Fire
Gold Dust Woman

With:

Julie Gordon-Lead Vocal on Gold Dust Woman
Dave Bonham
Glen Gardner
Bill Schlatter
Lenny Drake
Aaron Carl
Lane Gaffney
Bart Bock
Maki Dervo
Rocky Smith
John Waite



(Lenny Drake in Waubeek)

NOTES:  The conclusion of the weekend jams and benefits and Stone City General Store was the place to be for me.  The original intent was to do the Rumors jam and get some up to date photos of me but since Tami Soukup and Frank Smith took some nice pictures, and Glen Gardner having hip surgery this week I decided to stay close to home.

What figured was Julie coming out with Dave to Stone City as well.  She came in handy.  I left  my lyrics notebook at home  and had to rely on songs that I knew the lyrics to.  I originally was going to debut Sensuous Woman but had to scrap that one.  Julie did close my segment with another potent version of Gold Dust Woman.   She did return back to the stage with Dave Bonham to do a very good set of songs and hoping to score a gig at the General Store this summer.   Dave is supposed to return back to CR to help become Julie's duet partner when they play and hopefully they will score gigs.   I love sharing the stage with Julie, but since I work evenings, the only way we can get together is during acoustic jams and whenever we share an afternoon together.  She's a hard worker that does her best to make polished arrangements of songs.  In my case I play by rude tenacity and going with punk rock spirit, even in country setting like Stone City, I tend to be the most rocking out of all the jammers there. I'd rather not get in her way with her bands and duos.  I love it when I playing alongside her on stage.

Aaron Carl returned from Central City to play again this week and Lenny Drake also appeared.  I know him very well from the Waubeek jams.  I'm thinking when I go back to Waubeek I'll be playing drums more than guitar and helping his collective band out if needed.

Julie mentioned that Maki Dervo graduated from Linn Mar in 1979, the same year I exited Marion High School.  Maki was two grades ahead of Julie.  You learn something new   Even during the 70s when we were in the neighborhood growing up at rival schools, I still cannot picture running into either Maki or Julie during those times.

For now I'm taking time off to recover from sawing my fingernail off while performing the last couple nights and letting it grow again, hopefully past the quick.  I seem to use my finger nail more than the guitar pick and since coming back in 2015, I haven't had much fingernail on my index finger.   I guess that's the reason why playing drums isn't as hazardous.



And finally, Frank Smith, who takes amazing in action photos of local band hung around at the Chrome Horse New Bo Bar to snap a picture of myself.  Damn, he makes me look good!  I'm basically watching every move that Rick Clay makes on Dreams I'll Never See Again.  Again special thanks to Troy Mitchell for letting me play his drums on a couple songs.

Meanwhile at Rumors (Kevin Simnacher: Photo)

Which begs the question, how many bands Terry McDowell is in?

Threshold
Toxic Blonde
FLEX
Project Floyd
Large Midgets
Lab Rats
Last Call
Justin Case
The Mandela Effect

and a few others as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.