Sunday 18 July 2021

Blues Rox At The Sanctuary and the return of the Bear n Earnest

Rumor's set of songs.

Another Trainwreck
Sweet Home Alabama
Roberta
Ramblin Man

Billy Bourbon-Vocals and guitar
Jeff Taylor-Keyboards
Dan Hartman-Guitar and vocals
Tim Canfield-Bass
Morris-Guitar
Nick Lnenicka-Harmonica
R S. on drums
Terry McDowell-Host

Billy said the first song was a Townes Van Zandt song.  It might have been.
Ed Butler sang Beat It, Wicked Game, I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You
Rick Wengle played drums
Ernest did the Twist and Bring It On Home
Mike Lint played drums
Mike Clair Played guitar on Ernst's songs

A decent crowd was on hand.



(Jim Jacobmeyer adding some effects to our photo, which gave Kris nightmares afterward)




Saturday Night, Blues Rox played at the Artisan Sanctuary in front of 10 people including the band members and sound guys.  Two women popped in for five seconds and then left when Jim asked them for a donation. Maybe they wanted to use the restroom.  A disappointing crowd but those who attended got treaded to a decent song capped by a 11 minute Free Bird that keeps getting better with each performance. Kris shown his SRV and KWS influences with the blues numbers.  Once again Brian, couldn't figure out how the hell Can't Get Enough went or Feel Like Making Love.  Kris wasn't too happy with him.  Neither was I.  We been doing these GD songs for the past year and half, we shouldn't be fucking them up.  But then again my mind was elsewhere on Can't Get Enough, I messed it up just as bad as they did.




Russ thought the show was good, but it was Kris' show and he strutted down the stage and around the Sanctuary since we didn't have a crowd, he could do it.  Him, Brian and Russ did a trio jaunt on Free Bird which turned to be 11 minutes of chaos.   Being disappointed in the turnout did have something to do with me not being on top of my game.   Being Saturday Night we had to compete with other bands playing but you get three or four people saying they will show up and they don't.  Julie couldn't make it due to car problems and who knows where everybody else.  Only Virginia Harlow made good by showing up. 

Afterwards, Jim came up and asked if we wanted to do a three song recording for later, to which we might do that.  Jim has been on my case for my own recordings as well.  I told him I might take him up on that.  I thought about doing a Acoustic Adventures at the Sanctuary but since we had a poor turnout, I doubt if that take place.  

Shawn Ster hosted the Stone City open mic this afternoon.

Ernst made a rare showing at Rumors today and even the beloved Bear Clair came down to sit in and play.  Ed Butler would have liked to have me play during his set but per usual I got there late and he was placed in the capable hands of Rick Wengle, a total vegan person.  I came on board with Dan Hartman and we did four songs of no inconsequential value.  Ramblin' Man has been a problem song since I don't swing it as well as the song should be played and I have trouble trying to keep the straight beat to the redundant Sweet Home Alabama.   Roberta was the best song played, Jeff Taylor providing a decent boogie woogie beat.  For some reason I couldn't get the GD accents right.   Perhaps I need a break from the open jams?   Would have enjoyed playing alongside Ernst, but I got there too early.

But at least I can play another version of Sweet Home Anamosa.


Ernst Bynum doing the twist, or perhaps Bring It On Home To Me.

Marie Clair was asking me about Belinda James, the second person outside of Herm Sarduy.  I have heard about her being in the hospital but she is home but has not made the music scene for over a year and a half.  She's still grieving over the loss of her son a few years ago.  I do miss hearing her voice over Fever, maybe I'll see if I can entice her into coming out to sing again.  I just hope she hasn't walled herself up into isolation in this life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.