Saturday 24 July 2021

Blues Rox-Jones Country Fair

I've never been to the Great Jones Country Fair.  Every third or fourth weekend in July, the place gets packed.  Neighbors looking to make a quick buck will offer their driveway or yard for you to park at for 10 to 15 dollars.  I managed to luck out and get a spot right next to the free stage.




It wasn't a paying gig but we got in for free and I got to see Evan Stock Band rock on after we closed up our set.  Their drummer was amused that I used a car floor mat to keep the GD bass drum from moving, I still didn't have it set all the way down but it kept in place most of the night. 



(Tom  Bowler and  Barbara Koch, part of the folk that came down to see us)

It was nice to have a crowd.  My classmate and good friend Tom came down to see us play and stayed through the set.  Kris has his family of admirers  and he managed to entertained the crowd with him going out into the crowd with long guitar solos on Texas Flood, Further Down The Road and of course, the show stopping Free Bird to which we took about 14 minutes off the set of Evan Stock Band (sorry about that). Opening act was Studio 30 Dancers, which were 10 to 12 year old girls doing cheerleading stuff, which is what the County Fair was all about.




This was Kris' show and he delivered big time.  This was our best performance this year.  It was hot, it was brutal but we all knew that if we put on a good show, this might open the door for other concerts in the area.  The issue was trying to stay in time with the band while country hack Kane Brown was pumping rap beats that was overpowering us.   For Wipe Out, I was mimicking to the beat but found myself out of the drum roll that starts that song. So I improvised and told Kris to stick with me till I found my groove.   What I thought was mistakes, people thought they were part of the song.  But even with a fan, I was still sweating buckets out there.  For the set list, Further Up The Road replaced Shame Shame Shame and with Texas Flood, Brian didn't pay much attention to the stop break, which got Kris to throw dagger eyes at him and went for an more extended lead till he returned back to the stop break, to which Brian got right.\



(Deb Swearingen:Photo)

The mistakes were slight and even Can't Get Enough got through without problems.  As much as the dreaded Free Bird can be, it is our finale, the show stopper that brings out the jams in everybody tho I wish they could bring back Voodoo Chile.  What does the future hold for Blues Rox?   I still see Kristopher keeping the legacy of the Stevie Ray/Kenny Wayne Sheppard type of rock and blues that he grew up listening to.  While I think my time with Blues Rox might be on the setting sun phase, I still have fun watching him go all out.  He is one of a kind and once he realizes his potential, well the future remains unwritten. 

I did see a couple of jam buddies at the Evan Stock gig.  Joe Hutchcroft was there, I think he's looking a bit more happier nowadays since he isn't seeing a certain woman.  Pat Geisland might have been there for a few.  I doubt that he saw me under my hat n glasses.

As a band, we really don't hang out much together anymore.  Once the gig is done, we pack up gear and go on our merry ways.  Sometimes Russ n I will grab something before a gig, but he and Deb went to Shooters afterwards, Brian and Kris hung around to catch a couple songs from Evan Stock and since I had access to the fair, managed to walk around the grandstand area and the rides and hearing the band Restless Road start to play.  I got to hear Evan Stock play Hear My Train A Comin' and TNT to conclude things, packed up my gear and made it out of the maze of exit roads to get out of the county fair.  To which I treated myself a Mexican dinner at the grand opening of a new Anamosa Mexican place.  

And then did the laundry and mowed the yard.



Blues Rox

Announcer: Doug Langston

Setlist:

Pride And Joy
Blue On Black
Further On Down The Road
Ready For Love
Proud Mary
Johnny B Goode
Wonderful Tonight
Can't Get Enough
Pink Houses
Brown Eye Girl
Wipe Out
Tore Down
Whole Lotta Shaking Going On
Texas Flood
Feel Like Making Love
Free Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.